Thursday, April 22, 2010

Leaving the Past Behind

It can be hard sometimes to let go of past hurts and I must admit I have had my share of them. The first repsonse of wanting to "get even" with someone who has done you wrong is a natural response so to think that you are the only person who feels this way.....don't beat yourself up about it.
     The idea of letting go and forgiving is not an old concept and of course many traditional organized religions talk about this concept many times. The problem arises when putting into practice what your head rationalizes is right but your heart does not follow.  I find that asking these questions a great help when finding myself wanting to retaliate:

1. What can I gain from my retaliation?
2. Am I willing to accept the consequences of my actions if I choose to go this route?
3. How important is keeping this negativity in my life beneficial to me?
4. What part did I play if any, that caused this situation to escalate to this level?

If you are honest with yourself when asking these questions, I know that the "truth" will reveal itself to you.

No comments: